Friday, October 16, 2009


Today Jon and I did one of the funnest things we have ever done. It did not start out that way though. We woke up at 4:30 this morning, and drove two and a half hours before dawn to get to Beckley, West Virginia. We're going white water rafting on the New River! The New River is very old (either it or the Nile is the oldest in the world, one of the two), and in this section it is very deep, very rocky, and very rapid-y.

We checked in with the rafting company, and got some hot chocolate and breakfast. While we were eating, other people came in, and we realized they were base jumpers. Tomorrow is Bridge Day, where the highway across the New River Gorge Bridge is closed, and base jumping is allowed from the bridge, which is over 800 feet above the river. I thought the base jumpers were crazy, but as we were leaving breakfast I heard them saying that they couldn't believe anyone would go rafting today because the high for today is only 41 degrees, and that we must be the crazy ones.

Our group was the only one on the river today. There were three boats, and our boat only had five people plus a guide, including Jon and me. The New River has class I through class V rapids, but is suitable for beginners. The first rapid we encountered was a class IV, and I think it was more than some people were expecting. I remember the boat tipping and the woman who was sitting next to me fell towards me, pushing me over the side. Jon also fell out, and he went down deep under water. Our guide got flipped out as well, so that made me feel better. As I struggled to get back into the boat one of my shoes slipped off, not that it was keeping my foot warm anyway.

No one fell out of the boat anymore for the rest of the trip, although we had a great time spinning and tipping and riding the rapids. It was very cold, but that didn't make it any less fun. I don't know how far we went, but we spent about 3 hours on the river. Along the way we saw remnants of the pre-Depression mining towns, and even older structures. We got out just under the bridge, and took the bus back to the lodge for some hot showers and lunch. The trip was with River Expeditions (www.raftinginfo.com). Jon's boss has gone with them twice, and recommended them. It was worth getting up at 4:30 for. We've already made reservations for our next trip. Anyone want to join us?

At the lodge, the crazy bridge jumpers were packing their 'chutes. After we left, we drove over the New River Gorge bridge. Its very, very high, and has a great view. We didn't get out and walk though, just drove over. They were getting ready for Bridge Day, setting up porta-potties in the median and trash cans along the highway shoulder. Some of the people who live nearby had signs up, offering a parking spot in their yard for $10. If I lived there, I would totally do that. I would also grill hot dogs to sell, with coffee and sodas.

No comments:

Post a Comment