Monday, February 15, 2010


Its sunny and in the 50's today, so all of that snow is melting fast. Water is running seeping out of the ground and running into drainage ditches everywhere. The snow was fun while it lasted.


February 12-15 is the annual Great Backyard Bird Count, where the Ornithology Lab at Cornell asks everyone to count the birds they see in thier backyards, or towns, or wherever, and report it to them. Jon and I went to the park, and we saw tons of birds. Our final count was 30 robins, 2 cardinals, 1 blue jay, 3 mourning doves, 2 Carolina chickadees, 6 turkey vultures, 1 mockingbird, 1 yellow rumped warbler, 2 ruby crowned kinglets, 1 tufted titmouse, 8 cedar waxwings, 1 crow, 2 red tailed hawks, 2 black vultures, and 1 hairy woodpecker. I'd never seen a ruby crowned kinglet before, so that was very exciting.
Because of the snow, Jon gave me my Valentine's day gift today. He gave me a box of chocolates, 2 vases of beautiful flowers, and a potted orchid. I've always wanted an orchid. I only gave him a box of chocolates. We tried to go out to dinner, but every place was packed, so we just went to Quizno's. Somehow that was more romantic. We went to Marble Slab afterwards for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment