Monday, July 13, 2009


Yes, I am driving a backhoe. (I think its a backhoe.) We were using it to create key lines on an empty plot that will one day become a community garden. The land was surveyed, and we found that it slopes westward, so all of the rainwater will flow off of the lot to the west. Key lines are either swales or berms (berms here) across the land that will slow the flow of the water and direct it to areas we want it to go. The rain will also seep into the garden rather than flow off of the lot because of the key line.


I didn't move any dirt, another woman did that. I just drove the backhoe down the street back towards the nursery. I didn't drive it all of the way, my friend Amy finished it up.


By the way, these gardening classes are at Elizabeth Anna's Old World Shoppe on 8th Avenue. I'm learning a lot of cool stuff (and doing a lot of weeding).

No comments:

Post a Comment